Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A week brimming with fun

Busy day today. Groundhog Day! (Not that that has anything to do with my day.) I’m headed to Norman to tour the Gaylord College of Journalism and speak with an advisor about master’s program options. I haven’t officially chosen OU, but I want to explore all my options.


Yesterday, I tried a new “routine” of getting up at 6 a.m. and getting some things done before the world wakes up. I loved it! Of course, I was ready to go to bed by 3 p.m., but I really did enjoy my day. I am not a morning person, so I’m not sure how long it will last.

I woke up at 6 a.m. and finished my Bible readings and enjoyed a cup of coffee in the peace and quiet.

I was finished by 7 a.m., when I woke the kids up for school. After they were dressed and out the door, I exercised for an hour.

By 9:30 a.m., I was in the shower.

I finished up some bookwork and a few other things before heading to school at 12:30 p.m. to help Jaynee present her Flat Stanley project. I put all the photos and everything on my blog so that we could just pull up the blog on the class’s Smart Board and view it from there. The goofy pictures wouldn’t show up! It was disappointing, to say the least. Now, I’ll put everything on a CD and take it back to school in a day or two. I guess good things come to those who wait.

So, my blog today is short, and all week may be a bit skimpy.

Thursday I’m taking Joseph and two of his friends, Shane and Duane – (yes, they are twins), to UCO to freshmen Premier Day. Joseph is looking at the biology and funeral service programs. Shane wants to coach and possibly teach physical education, and Duane is pursuing a degree in broadcast or sports journalism.

I can’t wait to see campus. I was on UCO’s campus more than 10 years ago, but I remember little about it. We attended a conference there my senior year of college. I can’t wait!

From there, the boys will come home, and I will hotfoot it over to Midwest City where the Oklahoma Press Association Mid-Winter Convention will just be getting underway. This is my favorite event of the year.

Thursday night is the opening reception. Friday is filled with journalism sessions, a presentation by Gov. Brad Henry, a nice luncheon filled with fun and awards and afternoon sessions. The annual awards banquet will be that evening. Saturday morning will feature sessions with legislators and others “in the know.”

We will accept four awards – our last for The North Central Reporter. We placed first in advertising and news content and second, third or fourth in another category, which escapes me right now. Those awards will be presented Friday evening during the awards banquet. We also placed first with our Web site, and that award will be presented Friday during the luncheon.

I’m nervous about going but excited at the same time. Considering the fact I don’t really publish a newspaper anymore, and this convention is for newspaper publishers and staff, it will be a bit odd. Plus, I haven’t yet heard from my former publisher at the Cherokee Messenger and Republican about my closing up shop. I’m not sure that’s a good sign. Usually when I make a move of any sort, he at least shoots me an e-mail. Since we’ve closed the paper, I’ve heard nothing. Words and criticism from Booher I can handle. Silence I cannot. I guess time will tell. Either way, I look forward to giving Steve a big hug.

I’ll try to post from my phone and promise a rundown of everything when I get back.

Right now, however, it’s time to wake the kids and get ready for my trip to Norman. I hope everyone has a great day!

Readings:

Matthew 12:1-21
Acts 17:1-15
Psalm 27
Exodus 10-12

Matthew 12:22-37
Acts 17:16-34
Psalm 28
Exodus 13-15

No comments:

Post a Comment