Saturday, January 9, 2010

Quick catch-up

Not much time to write today. I’m taking Joseph to his family’s Christmas party in Attica, Kan. Although they are my ex-in-laws, I love them and can’t wait to see them all. They have been gracious enough to welcome me at several Domnick Christmas parties, and I am grateful and blessed by that.



I haven’t been married to Joseph’s dad for 16 years, but they always make me feel like I’m still part of the family.

I doubled up on reading this morning because I was lazy yesterday and let taxes and bookwork get in my way of reading – WRONG, I know!!!

Today’s readings:

Matthew 4:18-25
Acts 5:17-42
Psalm 9
Genesis 24

And

Matthew 5:1-12
Acts 6
Psalm 10
Genesis 25, 26

Some verses that stood out:

Psalm 9:9: The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.

This verse comforted me and reassured me that I can always call on God no matter what the circumstance.

Also:

Psalm 10:1: Why, O LORD, do you stand far off? Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?

This verse confused me after reading the verse before about the Lord being a refuge and a stronghold in times of trouble. Why would the Lord stand far off? I read on and learned the Lord would not stand far off – unless we are not calling him, which is what this Psalm is about. It explains why the wicked may not or do not call on the Lord. I pray, Lord, I am never so confident in my earthly status that I neglect to call on you and ask you for guidance in all I do.

And if anyone can explain this tradition to me, I would appreciate it: In Genesis, Abraham asked his servant to put his hand under his thigh and swear by the Lord that the servant would find a suitable wife for Isaac from Abraham’s people. I would like to know more about the thigh swearing, its history and purpose. I bet Ray Vander Laan could tell us! ;)

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment