Monday, January 25, 2010

Ketch-up

What's that lame joke in the movie Pulp Fiction?

Papa Tomato, Mama Tomato and Baby Tomato are walking along together. When Baby Tomato starts lagging behind, Papa Tomato stomps on him and says, "Ketch-up!"
That's what I'm doing today - ketching up.

My mom commented the other day that she thinks I'm busier now than before I "retired." I have to agree, but I'm busier doing things I am loving - except the bookwork. I still am doing bookwork. I guess bookwork never ends.

I am working on an actual blog for later. For now, here are just my readings and some passages I liked from  the last three days. I have slacked on the blog, but I have been reading! :)

Friday, Jan. 22, 2010, readings:
Matthew 8:14-22
Acts 11:19-30
Psalm 19
Genesis 42, 43

Then Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul, and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch. Acts 11:25-26

Readings, Sunday, Jan. 24, 2010:
Matthew 8:23-34
Acts 12
Psalm 20
Genesis 44, 45

Psalm 20: 4-6
4 May he give you the desire of your heart
and make all your plans succeed.
5 We will shout for joy when you are victorious
and will lift up our banners in the name of our God.
May the LORD grant all your requests.
6 Now I know that the LORD saves his anointed;
he answers him from his holy heaven
with the saving power of his right hand.

Readings, Monday, Jan. 25, 2010
Matthew 9:1-13
Acts 13:1-25
Psalm 21
Genesis 46, 47

Now, I see where all those movies come from!

Acts 13:6-12
6They traveled through the whole island until they came to Paphos. There they met a Jewish sorcerer and false prophet named Bar-Jesus, 7who was an attendant of the proconsul, Sergius Paulus. The proconsul, an intelligent man, sent for Barnabas and Saul because he wanted to hear the word of God. 8But Elymas the sorcerer (for that is what his name means) opposed them and tried to turn the proconsul from the faith. 9Then Saul, who was also called Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked straight at Elymas and said, 10"You are a child of the devil and an enemy of everything that is right! You are full of all kinds of deceit and trickery. Will you never stop perverting the right ways of the Lord? 11Now the hand of the Lord is against you. You are going to be blind, and for a time you will be unable to see the light of the sun."


Immediately mist and darkness came over him, and he groped about, seeking someone to lead him by the hand. 12When the proconsul saw what had happened, he believed, for he was amazed at the teaching about the Lord.

The last sentence I read, I just pictured 147-year-old Jacob leaning on his staff in the picturesque glow of a brilliant orange and red sunset.

Genesis 47:31: … and Israel worshiped as he leaned on the top of his staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment