Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 6 - calm in the midst of a storm

Today’s readings:


Matthew 3:13-17

Acts 4:1-22

Psalm 6

Genesis 15-17




I tossed and turned this morning, starting about 5 a.m., thinking about those I need to speak to before this week’s paper comes out. I wrestled with my anxiety, prayed and planned.

When I woke up, I knew I needed to look to Scripture before sending those e-mails, and the Lord spoke to me through Acts 4:18-20: “Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. 19But Peter and John replied, ‘Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God's sight to obey you rather than God. 20For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.’”

The decisions I’ve put into motion this past week (month) are due to God’s calling, so having this verse laid out in front of me was definitely the message I needed to read.

Also in my readings was one of my favorite stories in the Bible. It is the story of Abraham and Sarah and how they conceived Isaac when Abraham was 90 years old. Can you imagine the disbelief Abraham must have felt when God told him he would not only have a son but also be the father of nations? Wow. Now, that’s a calling. My calling to go to school – and close the paper – seems like very small potatoes compared to that.

This verse leapt out at me this morning as well:

Genesis 15:1 1: After this, the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision:

"Do not be afraid, Abram.

I am your shield, [a]

your very great reward.

Thank you, Lord, for your awesome word and your infinite wisdom. Thank you for your shield of faith, our very great reward, with which you have supplied us free of charge. Thank you for the helmet of salvation, the breastplate of righteousness, the belt of truth, the sandals of peace and the sword of the spirit, which is Your Word everlasting. I will dress in the uniform you have provided me today and every day and rely on your strength and wisdom to carry me through the days ahead. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment