Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Brilliant, I say! Just brilliant!

I haven’t blogged in a few days, but I am pleased to announce that I am a bit smarter now.


Jeromy and I had to take the blue beast to Enid the other day to unload the stockpile of papers I’ve been hoarding for the last three and a half years. The paper recycling bins in Enid are located directly behind the Enid News & Eagle, in downtown Enid, just off Washington and Main. (We talked about this on Facebook the other day, in case you missed it, and a few people wanted to know where the Enid bins are located.)

We hadn’t driven the old girl in a while, and she was low on fuel, so I warmed her up good and headed to the gas station.

I started to pull up to the pump on the side the gas tank is located on my white car and had to turn around in the parking lot.

Jeromy pointed out that every car is equipped with an arrow or some sort of clue as to which side the gas tank is on. I didn’t believe him until I looked and lo and behold the words “Fuel door” with an arrow pointing to the right were right under the gas gauge! I told him that definitely was a blogger because I would have never in a million years noticed that. Next time I was in my white car, I made sure to look, and sure enough, my car says “Fuel” with an arrow pointing left just under the gas gauge.

My hubby’s so smart. Or maybe I’m just not that bright? Well, he is pretty smart, anyway.

I also made a huge discovery about my daily reading plan, which I lost (OK, threw away) while cleaning the other day.

I had been looking it over a few days before, and I noticed it didn’t cover every book in the Bible. It skipped books like Luke and Mark, Proverbs, Numbers – some big ones. I was disappointed, thinking it wasn’t a very good yearly reading plan after all, and I have really enjoyed it so far.

After I lost it, I found a spare at the church and brought it home to give it a good looking over again. I looked and looked, and sure enough, some of the major books were missing. I asked our pastor at church if he knew what the deal was.

Then, on looking it over for about the 50th time, I noticed the words “Note: the plan covers 300 days.” I started giving the passages on the paper a rough count in my head. No way were there 300 days worth of readings on the page. I really was disappointed by then.

Then, Shazam! It hit me. I flipped the page over. It was like finding the Holy Grail. Well, maybe not that exciting, but there were all the missing books: the Corinthians, Ruth, Philippians, Hebrews, Isaiah – all of them!

Yes, I felt like a bonehead, but at the same time, I was excited to see I could continue with the reading plan. I also wanted to get busy because I had missed three days after losing my first copy.

Then I remembered the plan said it was a “300-day plan,” which made me realize I could “miss” 65 days and still not be behind. I figured 52 days accounted for each Sunday of the year and the 13 extras just gives you a little breathing room. With all that thought through, I realized I wasn’t behind on my reading after all. Little blessings – don’t you love them? :)

The days I missed were Saturday, Sunday and Monday, so I’ve used a Sunday and two of my extra days.

Tuesday and Wednesday I read:

Matthew 7:1-14
Acts 10:1-23
Psalm 17
Genesis 37, 38

Matthew 7:15-29
Acts 10:24-48
Psalm 18:1-24
Genesis 39, 40

Messages that spoke to me today:

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. - Philippians 4:6


At day's end I'm ready for sound sleep,
For you, God, have put my life back together. - Psalm 4:8

2 comments:

  1. Okay, now you're making it hard for me to get back to work because I want to go look at my gas gauge for this mysterious arrow! Sure, it won't override the automated driver in my head that always goes to the side for my old car even though I've had my new car for nearly two years - but I want to see this clever invention anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you check it out? I still can't get over it.

    ReplyDelete